What is This Aviation SMS Foundation Software?
Large and medium-sized aviation service providers in most parts of the world are required to have formal aviation safety management systems (SMS). Aviation SMS programs don't have to be overly complex for smaller operators, but companies with more than 100 to 300 employees are commonly considered complex operations; therefore, their SMS programs are required to be more sophisticated and complete than a small airport or charter operator with 10 or twenty employees.
As the number of employees increase, the level of risk increases, but not always in a predictable mathematical equation. The most likely leading indicator for a failed aviation SMS program is lack of top management support coupled with inadequate budgets for tools to manage SMS regulatory requirements and SMS documentation.
Aviation service providers must mitigate these hazards to enhance safety and ensure profitable operations. When your company lacks budget for aviation SMS software tools, you are fighting a losing battle. There is no way to consistently monitor operational risk and demonstrate compliance to regulators and clients.
Fortunately, most aviation service providers have highly motivated and knowledgeable safety personnel and know where risk to the SMS program lies. This Aviation SMS Foundation Software is designed for operators that lack budget, but still need to demonstrate a complete SMS program.
Who Should Use Aviation SMS Foundation Software?
There are several use cases for operators to use this system. They include:
- Startup airlines needing an SMS program before certificate approval;
- Large airlines/airports with very low SMS software budget;
- Other operators not able to justify to management SMS software expense; or
- Operators simply wanting to "check the box" and have a complete system.
The Aviation SMS Foundation includes quality hazard reporting and risk management tools to allow safety mangers without adequate budgets to:
- Collect occurrence data;
- Manage associated risk;
- Train employees to identify and record hazards;
- Conduct both internal and external audits; and
- Demonstrate continuous improvement using best-in-class safety-quality assurance tools.
This solution is an economical alternative for larger operators who need tools, but don't yet have adequate safety budgets. The cost for this solution is:.
- $1,000 USD setup fee (non-negotiable);
- $300 monthly or $3,600 USD per year.
Limitations to this solution include:
- 10 user accounts;
- 100 MB storage space in version-controlled document manager;
- 100 MB storage space for reported issue file attachments; and
- 1 division.
To learn about divisions in SMS Pro, see this link.
Components of the Aviation SMS Foundation Software
To understand what is this Aviation SMS Foundation Software, it is better to break down the individual components of this system, which are based on the:
These components include:
- Hazard reporting forms (or way for reports to enter a "system")
- Risk management functionality;
- Reports (graphic or tabular);
- Gap analysis tool;
- SMS implementation manager; and
- Audit checklist management and audit scheduling.
These components benefit larger operators. For example,
- Employees easily report hazards, accidents or incidents;
- Safety managers work with world-class components of required aviation SMS programs;
- Safety managers have an fighting chance to become compliant;
- Quality and safety departments use same tools for an integrated SMS solution.
Finally, real-time graphical reports allow management to make informed decisions to minimize risk and reduce recurrence of accidents and incidents.
How Large Operators Can Report Identified Hazards
For our discussion, an accident, incident or hazard will be called an issue. This SMS Foundation hazard reporting and risk management system is designed to allow employees to enter "reported issues" using a "Public Issue Reporting" module or by Email Reporting. This solution is limited to ten user accounts; therefore, not every employee will be able to login.
In most cases today, Web-based forms offer the best solution for users to report issues into the safety database. This system will then notify a responsible person of the issue either by email or text. However, since the SMS Foundation software is limited to ten user accounts, your company will be using other tools to capture hazard reports.
The most common approaches for users of the Aviation SMS Foundation Software to report issues include:
- Offline reporting forms;
- Public-facing hazard reporting forms; and
- Paper-based forms.
Hazard definition: Hazards are anything that can potentially harm any of the following elements:
- People (customers, employees, contractors);
- The environment;
- Assets (aircraft, equipment, buildings); or
- Company reputation.
Accident definition: An accident is an unintended event that causes damage to persons or property.
Incident definition: An incident is an unintended event posing potential to cause damage to persons or property
Our Aviation SMS Foundation Software Includes:
Aviation SMS Foundation Software Training
SMS Pro comes with a complete online video training library. This video training library is visible to all employees with accounts.
On request, NWDS can provide quality aviation SMS training on our aviation safety management products. Our qualified partners are also qualified to teach the fundamentals of SMS while also instructing on our Web-based aviation safety management software.
Learn more about aviation SMS training.